WhittersCO

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Medical Issues: Damn Them

I guess you could say things are looking up. After some invasive surgery last week, the final pathology reports are in for my gramma and she does not have cancer! WAHOO! Of course being 75 (in three weeks) does not make recovery too easy and she has been struggling a bit. Her electrolytes were all out of wack and the morphine makes her pretty loopy. She is improving now and hopefully will get the chest tube out tomorrow and will go home in a few days. It would be awesome if she could be out of the hospital for Thanksgiving, but isn't likely.

Here is a recap of my family's medical issues this year:
1. My little brother was in the hospital and required surgery for an infection in his leg in May. He is diabetic and dropped a used needle on his leg, then three weeks later he could barely walk. Definitely one of the coolest wounds I have ever seen.
2. Over Memorial Day weekend, my grandfather (dad's side) was having problems breathing and taken to the hospital. He was there for I think two weeks and then in bed for another month or so. He was calling it his "deathbed".
3. In July, my sort of aunt (my mom's cousin who we all treat like her sister) Cyndy, went into a coma for 6 weeks. I went out and watched her son for 5 weeks.
4. After seeing her daughter in a coma, Cyndy's mom had a heart attack and was admitted to the same hospital with her for a few days.
5. In September, my Aunt Geri had a hip replacement.
6. Halloween weekend, my great-aunt (the one who had a heart attack after seeing Cyndy) fell and hit her head and had hemoraging and was in the hospital for two weeks or so. She is my gramma's sister and had the same electrolyte problem.
7.We were told my gramma had cancer and had possibly spread to her lymphnodes. But you know that story now.
8. My mom got an ucler from all the stress.
9. My Aunt Sara is having a kidney removed on December 23rd.

Oh yeah, I think that both my little sister and stepdad had to get their fingers checked out at the emergency room to make sure they weren't broken or something, but that is pretty minor.
Personally, I had some weird heart palpatations after seeing Cyndy and had to wear an "event monitor" for a month to make sure I didn't have any problems. Weeee!
So, I have had ENOUGH already! I am hoping that 2005 is a healthy year.

2 Comments:

  • Seth is diabetic?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:19 AM  

  • i have a partially torn rotator cuff to ad to your medical section!

    andrew

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home